Sunday, January 17, 2021

Problems with Arawak City Anarchists Part Two

One of the three people that lived there was fresh out of high school.  He became an alcoholic while he lived there and was a terror to live with. He had been on the wrestling team and was some kind of high school bully.  I did not feel safe living with him and tried to get him out of my life.  This was to no avail.  This person was regularly having his friends over to get drunk in the living room.  I felt that this was very disruptive.  He also felt that me and the other person who lived there were more privileged than he was.  Maybe he felt that we owed him.  It is worth saying that the alcoholic had a car and we did not. It seems like these toxic people are like parasites that cannot be pried away from a person with a crowbar. They attach themselves to people based on petty grievances and do not ever fucking go away. I wonder how many people have endured harm due to situations like this. My dad used to say "You can't shoot em."

How were we privileged?  Often these concepts of who is privileged and who is not don't really make any sense.  For example, people felt that I was a privileged white man in 2013.  During this time I was badly disabled and living on the floor in someone else's living room.  Where was my privilege?

Tension between myself and the alcoholic escalated in 2007.  People are not taught how to handle living with people like this.  I found him to be uniquely aggressive and hostile.  Eventually myself and the other roommate ended up moving back to Cincinnati, OH where our families lived. This was before the lease ended.

I got a bill from a collection agency in 2008 for over $7,000 for damages to this house.  I had never gotten a bill from collection agencies before and this was quite shocking.  I was  in my mid-twenties at the time.  Apparently the alcoholic and his drinking buddies destroyed the home after me and my roommate left.  In these kinds of situations the collection agency typically trumps up the charges.  I am not sure what the cost of the actual damages was.

In 2009 I ended up paying $2,300 back to this landlord because people from this group destroyed the house after I moved out.  There were three people on the lease.  Two people had to pay $2,300 and one of the people got away with it. Guess which one got away with it?  He did not have to pay because he had a lawyer in the family.  He may have had more liquid courage due to his alcoholism.   He was the one who caused the damage.  $2,300 really goes a long way in the world.  Sometimes when I am out of money I think back to this event. I wonder what I could have done with this $2,300. 

It is worth noting that in many cases people really do not have to pay debts to collection agencies.  I think this was one of those situations.  Collections agencies send people letters and call people on the phone.  They basically hunt people.  These type of conflicts could be settled through some kind of sensible court or mediation process. Instead debts are resolved through intimidation. People really need to figure out better ways to resolve differences and conflict.

The alcoholic would later get angry at me in 2013 and take a picture of himself with the American flag and a rifle to threaten me. This image went viral. How is this person a model American citizen? Why he used the American flag I do not know. I did not ever perceive him to be patriotic in any way. I found this person to be a massive burden on my life.

The Arawak City Anarchists were like the Symbionese Liberation Army and I was like a male version of Patty Hearst!


No comments:

Post a Comment